Three People. 366 Days. 1 Blog.

Wednesday 22 February 2012

22nd February: Be Humble Day

Be Humble. It’s a tricky thing to do – if you think you’ve managed it, then perhaps you’re being too arrogant about your humility. I can’t claim to be the humblest person ever, though I try to avoid boasting about my huge array of incredible talents, such as my awesome unicycling ability, my “formidable maths skills”, my amazing memory, the prodigious strength that allows me to support the weight of 3 people whilst hanging upside down… I’m going to stop there.
Joking aside, the past few weeks have actually been a very humbling experience. As I try to work my way back into the normal routine of school, and life in general, I’ve had to admit that I can’t cope with taking it all on at once – that I do need to take things slowly. For someone who’s spent years throwing himself into everything possible, and taking pride in the fact that he can successfully manage a significant amount more than many of his peers, this is quite difficult. And I’m doing it again today – recognizing that throwing myself back into school might not be the best idea… being humble about my ability to cope with everything that’s going on. 
On another note, it's Ash Wednesday - the start of Lent. Probably a good day to be humble. I considered the idea of joining everyone else in giving up Facebook for Lent, but decided against it. However, I am going to try and read the whole of the New Testament during Lent - something that may well require me to cut back on time spent on Facebook.
I’ll leave you with this rather fitting Bible verse, though it's not from the New Testament:
“He has shown you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly, to love mercy,
and to walk humbly with your God."

No comments:

Post a Comment